At Confitex, we understand that your bladder can be a temperamental creature. Sometimes, it knows that you’re in charge and respects the policy that if it has to go, it’ll let you know. Other times however, your bladder acts like a stroppy teen, demands attention and makes you feel like you’re doing something wrong.
The good news is, with a bit of time and effort, it is possible that you’ll enjoy a harmonious relationship with your bladder again. Read on and discover 5 ways you can keep your bladder as happy as possible!
Despite popular opinion, drinking less water isn’t going to help bladder leakage. Because your body needs water to function at an optimum level, dehydration can irritate the bladder and make you pass liquid even more frequently – so keep up those fluids!
Your pelvic floor muscles connect your pubic bone to your tailbone and act like a hammock to support your pelvic organs. External factors such as pregnancy or stress can weaken these muscles, resulting in light bladder leakage. Kegel exercises are a great way to strengthen these muscles and help you regain control. Here’s an easy exercise to get you started:
- Next time you go to the bathroom, locate your pelvic floor muscles by stopping urination mid-way through. If you do this successfully – congratulations – you’ve found your pelvic floor!!
- Lie, kneel or stand on the floor and contract those muscles as tightly as possible for 3-5 seconds. Relax fully for 3-5 seconds, and contract again for another 3-5 seconds.
- Repeat this sequence ten times per day and over time you should feel these muscles strengthening which will improve bladder control. NB: if you don’t experience any change in bladder control after 6-8 weeks, see a health professional to ensure you are engaging the correct muscle group
Like most health issues, what you put inside your body has a huge impact on your overall wellbeing. Things that are known to irritate the bladder, and stimulate leakage include:
- Foods which are high in spice (curries, Mexican dishes)
- Foods which are high in citrus
- Coffee and alcohol
- Fizzy drinks
Use this time as an opportunity to reflect on the current state of your diet and lifestyle and make positive changes that will improve not just your bladder control, but how you feel in general!
A few medications are taken for other health issues can actually make bladder leakage worse. If you take medication relating to your heart, blood pressure, sleeping habits or any sort of muscle relaxant, these could be contributing factors when it comes to an unhappy bladder. When consulting your doctor, make sure you disclose exactly which medication you are on so they can offer you the best advice!
Let’s face it. Bladder leaks can make living a normal life more stressful than it needs to be. You don’t want to have to carry a bag full of diapers around, or consistently spend money on pads at the supermarket. Confitex underwear can assist in living life without limitations, because not only does keep you comfortable and dry all day, it feels, looks, wears and washes just like normal underwear. Our bladder leakage technology eliminates odor, stops leaks and keeps you dry so you can enjoy peace of mind in that Confitex has you covered.